Objectives and content
- Listening skills: By the end of this course you can understand most of the news on TV and other programmes on current topics. You can also follow complex discussions about topics you are quite familiar with.
- Speaking skills: By the end of this course, you can easily interact with native speakers in fluent and spontaneous conversations.
- Reading skills: Only authentic texts are dealt with. By the end of this course, you can read articles on current themes in which writers voice their own opinions. You will also be asked to read a booklet (level B2).
- Writing skills: By the end of this course, you can write a detailed text defending your own opinion.
- Specific grammatical items: el uso del subjuntivo (parte 2), oraciones condicionales, verbos de cambio, perífrasis verbales.
Required prior knowledge
You have good knowledge of Spanish already:
- Without any preparation, you can engage in conversation about topics you are familiar with.
- You can also link sentences in a simple way.
- You use the correct “tiempos del pasado”.
- You know how to form the tenses of the subjuntivo, but you sometimes still doubt about its correct usage.
- You understand almost everything when Spanish speakers are having a conversation, even when they speak fast.
You either have a certificate of level B1 (Practical Spanish 3 at the UCT) or you pass an online orientation test before registering. During the first session, you will also complete an orientation test. Based on the outcome of this orientation test, you may be referred to another course because it is more suitable for you. You can only take this course if places are available.
There is a placement test and a final test.
UCT course book. You will receive this book from your language teacher in class.
- Halm e.a. (2015): Praktische grammatica Spaans, Antwerpen: Intertaal
- Mateo F. & Rojo-Sastre A.J. (2008): Bescherelle – espagnol: les verbes, Paris: Hatier
- Van Dale Miniwoordenboek Spaans – Utrecht: Van Dale
- Van Dale Pocketwoordenboek Nederlands-Spaans – Utrecht: Van Dale
- Van Dale Pocketwoordenboek Spaans-Nederlands – Utrecht: Van Dale
- Werkwoordenwijzer Spaans - nieuwe editie (2016), Antwerpen: Intertaal
If you buy one of these books at Standaard Boekhandel, Kouter 31, 9000 Gent, you will receive a discount of 10% on the official price. Make sure to mention that you take a language course at the UCT.
Are you already registered for this course? Check out our FAQ ‘What to do after my registration?’.